Despite the cage being on top of the ice, the action at Cage Warriors 97 set the arena alight. Jack “Tank” Shore might not have the Cage Warriors bantamweight belt around his waist but he proved himself as the people’s champion at Cage Warriors 97 on Saturday night in the Ice Arena, Cardiff.
Featherweight Bout: Jack Shore vs. Weslley Maia
The atmosphere was electric in the Ice Arena as Jack Shore (9-0) made his way to the cage to The White Stripes’ Seven Nation Army. The Welsh prospect still performed despite dealing with 2 opponent changes in the lead-up to the biggest MMA event held in Wales and missing out on his bantamweight title shot. Shore wasted no time getting the fight to the ground and dropping big elbows on his opponent as the crowd roared in approval. Maia did his best to defend on the ground but Shore’s top pressure from the mount was too much. Marc Goddard called a stop to the action as Shore was about to unleash more strikes from back mount,
The undefeated Shore will now go on to challenge for the bantamweight title at Cage Warriors 100 in December. The Tillery Combat MMA representative will definitely have the home crowd in his corner for the long awaited title shot.
Jack Shore was on FIRE 🔥
He wastes no time #CW97
First round TKO 🙌 pic.twitter.com/6D2EF29Bp1
— Cage Warriors (@CageWarriors) September 29, 2018
Cage Warriors 97 Highlights
- Mason “The Dragon” Jones (6-0) put the lightweight division on notice with a gutsy performance against Kacper Mormela in the co-main event. Jones battled through adversity early in the opening round and displayed true grit to come back for the win. The Dragon unloaded with brutal knees and elbows against the cage for the first round TKO.
- The Italian invasion of Cage Warriors continued with Micol DiSegni (6-1) making her successful debut against Cory McKenna in a great opener to the main card. The IMMAF champion DiSegni’s winning streak improved to 5 wins in a row after picking up the split decision in an entertaining scrap from start to finish.
- Although Cory McKenna (2-1) suffered her first professional loss, the 19-year-old looked fantastic mixing up the strikes and takedowns throughout the fight. McKenna had the Italian in some difficult positions during the fight. The crowd reaction to her entrance proved that Cage Warriors have another Welsh star on their hands.
- Aaron Khalid (7-4) got back to his winning ways after losing 2 fights in a row with a first-round submission against Jamie Richardson.
- Steve “Diddy Kong” Aimable was the star of the prelims with a brutal 14 second TKO against Liam Bennett. Aimable returns at Cage Warriors 99 on Saturday 17th November in Colchester.
Cage Warriors 97 Main Card Results
Jack Shore defeated Weslley Maia via TKO
Mason Jones defeated Kacper Formela via TKO
Brian Bouland defeated Kris Edwards via unanimous decision
Aaron Khalid defeated Jamie Richardson via submission
Micol DiSegni defeated Cory McKenna via split decision
Cage Warriors 97 Pro Prelims Results
Steve Aimable defeated Liam Bennett via TKO
Struan Croxan defeated Michael Corsten via unanimous decision
Luiz Finocchio defeated Brett Hassett via submission
Luke Shanks defeated Jason Jenkins via unanimous decision